Are you seeking an amazing, durable smile? One of the most important things you can do is to watch your diet. Here are some foods not to eat:
1. Hard Candy: These candies contain high amounts of sugar, which plaque converts into acid, wearing down your tooth enamel. Also, their hard coating places your teeth at risk for chips or cracks.
2. Ice: Ice is similar to hard candy in that if you chew on it, there’s a possibility of a dental emergency. Stick to using it to keep your drinks cold.
3. Sticky foods: Foods like dried fruit, caramels, or tootsie rolls stay on your teeth longer than any other kind of food, promoting tooth decay and gum disease.
4. Starchy foods: After you eat a potato chip or cracker, the leftover food particles tend to cling to your teeth. This is because of starch.
5. Sour sweets: Sweet candies with a bite, such as Warheads or Sour Patch Kids, contain the two most deadly chemicals for teeth: acid and sugar. These kill your tooth enamel and spike your risk of cavities.
So what do you do with this information? You may choose to simply limit these foods or completely remove them from your diet. If and when you do choose to eat them, try drinking water and chewing sugarless gum afterward to wash away residual food particles. And don’t forget your daily oral hygiene routine.
Come see Drs. Forero and Valderruten for your semi-annual dental cleaning and exam, and we’ll help you keep your smile amazing. Simply call 954-752-4901 in Coral Springs, Florida, to make an appointment with our dentists. We’re happy to serve.